The Very Remarkable Yamato Family.
- Publication date
- Indiana University, Bloomington
Produced by NET
Presents contrasts in society and politics in modern Japan: the change in family structure away from a strong matriarchy, school children being offered individualized instruction while still wearing standardized uniforms, the fading god-like image of the emperor, an emerging women's liberation movement, and the growing interdependence of Japan and other nations. Includes comments by the prime minister and foreign minister, who outline Japan's relationship with China, the Soviet Union, and the United States
- 2015-05-12 00:43:04
- color: Very badsound: Goodsynch: Goodnotes: Red/green balances seem too high.
- This program was made possible by grants from the German Marshall Fund of the United States. The Corporation for Public Broadcasting the Ford Foundation International Business Machines Corp and the Rockefeller Foundation. In Japan they still teach the bayonet drill. I'm. But they also teach kids to write the way the Chinese date a thousand years ago. Ritual persists satisfying to many stifling to some in this very comfortable but conforming society. They gave to still bans marriages are still right but two weeks ago when the first woman scale Mt Everest she was Japanee. Other women I'm moving to be a model family itself. Marches forward on to the international scene. These are our subject tonight the now. In many ways the one hundred ten million Japanese are one big family with women in the key but didn't roll which is a surprise to most Westerners. Until marriage which is likely to be arranged by her parents the young Japanese woman doesn't count for much to help us understand all this we were fortunate to have to caution in a galaxy a faculty member at the City University of New York well. You see when Japanese woman and I married then I consider really is a person this humanity totally denied they don't simply exist in dist pyramid Japanese in male chauvinism society all males one sided but once they get married they are given sound social status to B.N. they become our master. They become mothers. Then they can speak in this society for the society but we doubt the state is there nothing is this still as it has often been alleged a matriarchal society. Tell me about it. Well first of all. You go to a bar there are four hundred thousand bars are going to set this stick it under thousand coffeehouses in Tokyo than even our and speech. Coffeehouse Obama had Mama sound you feel forty years old politician six years politician they go to geisha house them on my sons you go home there's a mama sound you go to see your wife or lady your wife had the kids and then she becomes a mom a son. So this is like anywhere you go is mamas and all over what's a mom a sign along our sons to simply mother the mama sons this concept is a little different from just simply mother was a true Did your wife could become mama found concept who notices you to baby sit for you if you go home your wife income or on take off your ties and socks for know this NG and you just the jacket on Sunday night you go to HUD bias you come our D.N.A. Zebedee you eat and. Leap into the bird I mean while your wife's income mama sound it's not quite servant and to Westerners eyes she served as a servant or slave but it's not it's a my my son's mother taking care of a boy. On the game no we don't know the the the. The. The. Take you are told is the. Customer who cannot find their business man will spend an evening in a geisha house and this is one of the oldest and most expensive in Tokyo to talk over their biggest deal after the formalities they want to be taught and hampered waited on and entertaining. Told the politicians bankers professional the backbone of the establishment they all do you'll hear this international broker much prefers a supper seated on the floor to the martini lunch or. Feel more relaxed to do business. In such a place that's right. Might leak on the mat instead of. Sitting on the hard chair and European style table. And we can feel more relaxed and belief feel that. Things will be smaller than if we do like this. So we know. COM grade building and everything is the are at the ends badly off and the people who did so a hobby you know I write downs on that little back to come here but we would like to pass away the most difficult business that we really would not have been done otherwise known as. The geisha are in no sense prostitute. Besides being classically trained entertainers they are skillful momma son was able to provide a lass a song whatever is needed to relieve the tension when a lot of this but. It's a feeling I must match. Those on my and I'm going out of the Got all. My nice someone in that office so they just. Goes on in. The home. But you know them and since I am I don't get on the ballot then I don't know how it's going to I don't want all. If they do have an affair it is long term. Missed is like and the man is expected to help provide the money to set the geisha up in some enterprise of her own but if that or ambition. In the beginning. The fan was a make the artist the early legends predator wondrous sun goddess with helping found the nation in the third century of Queen Ruby out in a few shoes and a few hundred years later a line of Everest is rain. These days it is difficult to get young women to go into the geisha business it takes years to master all the ancient dances songs and musical instrument it's much easier to become one of Japan's half million bar hostesses the Go-Go geishas. Sex is not for sale from bar hostess is either still there's an in the stream of men willing to pay them well for a few hours of chatter flattery and thirty thousand. Oh. Oh oh oh. The geisha the bar hostess the permissive wife merge into the much needed mom a son who stands behind the mother molded men of Japan. Oh. Observers conclude that Japanese women are actually more self-reliant than men do they didn't object to the absolute male control outside the home. Not very loudly yet but there is a small women's lib movement and it's growing. Indicative of how Japan and worldwide social movements are linking up with. These women reject the moments on role whatever its powers they refuse to be put in charge of procreation. Pampering in the paycheck they want to redefine the woman's role in Japan. Finder a comfortable place outside as well as inside the home they all work on nurse a copywriter a teacher a physical therapist and every Saturday night they meet to produce a quarterly women's magazines it's slowly beginning to build a following. Very. Closely. College and I think. The women's lib movement if they live edition of the political resolution. You must know about the color of your own country after six months in New York and I've been in Europe for two years before I found the culture is very very different. A spiritualist tracked it is even today very very different so I found we must define on sex child put it take. Me to me Amano is twenty eight. University educated and lived with a roommate also a writer in downtown Tokyo. Her life as an activist began in the sixty's when she was part of the students movement against the war in Vietnam. The behavior of American G.I.'s in Asia is the subject of this article she's working on to support herself she works enough but Jane Doe or pinball parlor in the evening. He's a rebel and individualists but she says she still feels an enormous kinship with all the women in our family who came before her. I don't like to get together for many many people to make a demonstration to make a speech on the street I rather be alone and I call my loan will weigh and so even in the feminist movement I want to be alone at the woman's feminist movement is not is only not for me for my mother and for my grandmother because they are very miserable. My grandmother was dead yet but I would like to work for me not to meet her in another in another country again so this is maybe the real main reason that I'm working for women and I have two mothers. When is my real mother and the second one is my mother and I found both of my mother is a prayer. Oppressed by this society too when I was twenty one twenty two twenty three this is the period for jobs and used to women to get married so that my father too from his duty as a father he asked me what kind of man you prefer you know I will find your for you or something like that so I cut. His Love You know he said that he this is his love to me and I said I don't want such a kind of love you know so I cut him. Off and I went to Europe this is my way to run away from my home and I stayed in Europe for two years to cool my you know my feeling and cruel my father's failing to now the one so you can go back to my home town is beautiful traditional city I hated in line so you know I would go back to my hometown to see their faces and to show my face to them because if I don't do that they imagine you lack My daughter is doing in talking maybe she is going to the reg. Magine you know I must show him that I'm living just nerdy. Now he said that he is to do is that if I can manage my life by myself he don't want to he doesn't want to help me. The reason why I choose to work in approaching is Personally I like such a frank add to most fear I hate in our fees to work I must to buy Japanese woman's away and I must you know sir. Communicate with the bass very very it's very severe for me and I rather like to communicate with said Joe girls because they are very frank and very naive. Where sometimes I showed my book to them I choose the person you know and they were shocked to very much. Hours doing things and but they do read and they they recommend our book to their friends or something like that so I think this is my woman's liver way to you know so I found the Japanese culture is very. Mothers or the women controlling I reinjured the whole society before the mad maternal says Jim was remained until tenth century in japanese his did and said. Cuz the Gerard to most the. Remaining Even today in our future I would like to connect with the jury all the good days of maternal side see with our future. This is my around. The earth. Larry Larry it to who the. Movement to. Impose. Their will God will build. A television is dependent like tronic shrine and it reveals the changing face of the female. Women tell their dreams and the ever present panel the priests give guidance. This is a daytime show and sex and marital problems. There's a lawyer a leading film director and an actress. Their task is to advise the unhappy woman in the glass booth who is come to tell her story to them and to millions of women listening at home. Her situation is classic her husband who is away from home often ignores or on his return and spends most of his time with his mother who lives nearby the audience can sympathize. The lady in the booth asks Can I win back my husband or should I divorce it's a rare step which generally marks the woman as a failure of American notions about compatibility and sharing are not primary here as in the beginning the woman is the garden of a home who must perpetuate the a model family this is our mission. Whatever her husband's fault. The panelists split in it to buy the actress advises that she beat the mother in law at our own game that is outta Mahmassani the mamma saw the film director Niki so Oshima who has dealt with women and many of his scripts. Advises divorce and the lawyer. Outlines the procedures none of Oshima movies have happy ending. Though some of the bigger budget battle will the little metal community has been a little bully stage didn't argue to get into a title given to divide the moon this is the one on the first of all men and a woman has to be independent and mutually independent and out to be one to one relationship however much than it does your morning on the on it but it will not be the moment when it's going up to not doing this on the ones that are the phone is going to Japan now the woman independent woman power is very small medium on the line to become mothers she gets so much power the bill does I mean that's an a hole and you are now my tits with your multiple my honeymoon you will know nothing of the ones you don't think meek you'll The stead muscle that I wouldn't they could kill you and I just do not say that he doesn't win this can actually have scripted many women who try to make it independently. However they defeated side society idea and of the movies the mother the Joneses and I didn't pursue my going through just like the guest today if you had she saw cried lead sickening was in when it can you was futile I see blame our problems on somebody else or something else. OK. In this T.V. studio a news story is unfolding. These are sixth grade children in one of Tokyo's downtown elementary school education is taken for granted. Although it didn't begin until after World War two It's inevitable that these kids will accept new ideas as easily as they handle the new technology to agree this is what the Ministry of Education is planning. Even to promoting a new look in the anchor person you. See that's. What he did not interview. Killer to justice. This is a lunch time helps show put on by the school's T.V. Club with amazing the little supervision from adults. The program may not get the highest rating but putting kids on their own more if the new policy to get away from the rigidities and rope learning of the past. There is also debate about the almost fanatic competition in exams to qualify for the better schools as you proceed toward college official policy is now to give children more free time in grade school the play to read to develop their own resources and individuality. The teacher's union if you pan which is left wing can take some of the credit for his long fall constant memory drills. Mass discipline and the enormous stress put on getting grades. Teaching brush riding to fourth graders might be likened to asking first graders in this country to speaking. Chargers English These youngsters are being educated to reach out and broaden the nation's perspective but the roots of the culture must be tended also. Japan began taking its written language from China thousand years ago just as a mere one hundred years ago. Get adopted. Industrialization and parliamentary procedures from the west. But although it has also taken thousands of English words into the language spoken Japanese is still very Eastern a tongue of incredible subtleties perfect to express mood and feeling but hardly precise or logical. There are no singular or plural. Tenses Ervay and there are ten different ways to say or we depending on the degree of deference you wish or are compelled to use. Today out of the. Me again today. Me. The tradition of junior high uniforms has not yet been broken up on the sixth day school week. Everybody learns English in the past this meant reading and writing only so that the West could be studied right today the emphasis his own conversation so that they can be genuine communication what. They are being much better prepared than their fathers for an international row. From even you know a lot of. Some of these young girls told me we'd enthusiast a good voice that they want to become the stewardesses to miss on like an ordinary dream for young girls anywhere in the world. Before D.S. Japanese gold needed to prove a jet speed progress of Baltimore Japan the mothers over these goals dreamed of becoming no sense. They wanted to dedicate and sock refresh themselves totally. Than those of the world the unmarried mama sons you know it just unthinkable at the time to get involved with anything. International especially in the case of woman now these young girls who want to travel and see the world and selves they want to know what is happening in the world. Speech in Flint leaving a foreign language. Serving a cup of green tea or the steaming hot towels and charming smile and putting a blanket softly over the sleeping passengers there will they merge as international mama sounds you not out of a Japan. Wendy's golden become mothers I wonder what kind of dream and they will pass it on to their daughters or. With food. Musical education is super The underlying assumption is that just about everybody has some musical talent and the Japanese have an unusually large number of international performance. Was the military are also preparing for a bigger international wrote the constitution imposed by America after World War two. Forbid the standing army. With the Korean War the U.S. insisted that Japan rearm as an add on communist Alice. So this is basic training in what is called the self defence forces which now rank as the seventh strongest military in the world and continued expansion is planned. Why who is the enemy. And where is the threat isn't the nuclear she'll provided by the security treaty with America enough. The Hawks answer that Japan must be able to protect its heavy investments in Southeast Asia and it's all a lifeline to the Middle East they want to get rid of what they call the occupation Constitution and write a new basic document that would permit a full fledged no limits military base with the Nuclear power of China and Russia the hardliners also are arguing against the government's plan to sign them unprepared for ration treaty. But there is little sentiment in the Amado family to go nuclear it has not forgotten. There are however great pressures on Japan to boost its military string our Pentagon sees Japan as the last able ally in the east. The army has not been able to recruit easily most young men in the big cities laugh at the idea of investing it is country youth who are attracted to a. Oh. Twenty percent. Despite the formality here the Army has had to loosen the old discipline even down to officers talking to a missed it man as a quote. It's not enough. But these young men have competed vigorously to get into a special military technical high school sort of a junior West Point and today they are being inducted. They will become technicians in an army of one hundred eighty thousand those who are concerned about the size of this course. Say it could be triple instantly because it is made up mostly of hardy trained non-commissioned officers. Japan's maybe an air force ranked third in the Pacific behind America and Russia this is how it was all explained to The New Soldier. Examining the reasons Jewish ins in Vietnam Cambodia and the Middle East it is clear that the Japanese people must become alerted as a nation and as a race it is self-evident that citizens of any nation who suffered defeat in a war. Suffer a great deal so it is important to recognize the task of the national self defense forces. Even in peacetime are the result over the course Joe relationship between the United States and the Soviet Union. Some critics claim the Japanese old Defense Forces may not be necessary however so great there was a Kissinger recently filmed in you've got them to restore the peace in the Middle East as a result. Tension on the international scene is observable. This is why we Japanese national defense forces exist. This is. The. How strong is the drive to re-arm. When we're Japan signed the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty. Will it abandon its peace comes. The two should. The this is. The. The. It's.
- Run time
- Internet Archive HTML5 Uploader 1.6.1
- Worldcat (source edition)